Tuesday 27 December 2016

On the 3rd Day of Christmas...

... this blogger gave to thee...
... three low light lovelies ...
... two sassy sweatshirts...
... an ode to 2016.

For Christmas this year, my sisters bought me a Nari the Narwhal Night Light.

No, I don't still sleep with a night light on, at least not in my room, we've had to have one in the hall for years, or risk tripping over cats or their midnight offerings... no, they bought be a Nari the Narwhal Night Light because I genuinely thought Narwhals were mythical and my sisters enjoy teasing me about it. I'm not even ashamed to admit this moment of idiocy, as my only exposure to the sea unicorn was during an episode of Futurama and the conveniently festive film, Elf.
Anyway, seeing my sisters gave me this very cute little lamp, which now resides beside the "I wish I was a Narwhal so I could stab idiots with my head" print they gave me for the big we don't mention and I had so far been in want of a third offering for the twelve days, I thought it would be a nice jumping off point. So here are three lovely lights...

A photo posted by Lumio (@hellolumio) on

The Lumio Lamp designed by Max Gunawan, is a beautiful, simple and multi-functional piece of lighting designs, which comes in the form of hard cover book whose pages glow when opened.

It is a portable and rechargeable light source that you unfold, unfurling its pages up to 360 degrees, allowing you to position the light in a variety of different ways. Made of maple or walnut, each light has a living hinge, made of the same material as the rest of the lights casing. In this case the wood is laser cut in a repetitive pattern, making a material, which should be rigid, flexible enough to bend along the spine of the light allowing it to be stood upright or flat on a table or mounted on a wall, folded along the edge of a table or shelf, or wrapped fully around until the magnetised covers connect, allowing it to be suspended. Then when the light is no longer needed, it can be slid back onto your bookshelf and kept out of the way.

There's even a Mini Lumio+ which, at the size of a mobile phone, acts as a portable battery charger for your mobile as well as a functional light.
These Hanging Mirrored Metallic Light Bulb Light by Nest from Not On The High Street, I will admit have made their way into my room, or at least one copper one has. There are the size of a large faux mercury glass light bulb in copper, silver and gold, filled with warm golden fairy lights and enough cable length from bulb to battery pack that I only hit my head on the lamp once or twice a day as I pass by. This is less down to the light and more down to my already having a hook in the ceiling and using it instead of putting it in a better location.  However, they are beautiful and remind me of the RSC performance of A Midsummer Nights Dream I saw when I was a kid.

These lights don't give off a lot of light singly, but a collection of them would add a really pretty glow to a room. Only downside is that while the battery pack being at the ceiling makes the bulbs aesthetically more attractive, the on switch is at the hanging point and unless you're tall, they're not easy to turn on and off without climbing. Otherwise the goal for me is to eventually have a little collection.
Now finally, is one probably my favourite and also the most out of my price range.

The Luna Lamp by Acorn Studio, is an unutterably beautiful handmade light, made to order out of a fibreglass ball coated in non-toxic latex to create an artistic representation of the surface of the moon, and, especially at this time of year, reminds me of one thing, A Wonderful Life:

George Bailey:
What is it you want, Mary? What do you want? You want the moon? Just say the word and I'll throw a lasso around it and pull it down. Hey. That's a pretty good idea. I'll give you the moon, Mary.
Mary:
I'll take it. Then what?
George Bailey:
Well, then you can swallow it, and it'll all dissolve, see... and the moonbeams would shoot out of your fingers and your toes and the ends of your hair... am I talking too much?

Yes George Bailey, you were talking too much, but we love you none the less, and I'd take a Luna Lamp over a ring any day.

Merry Christmas! Part four tomorrow...

Oh and, seeing 2016 took Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) away from us today, I am going to add an additional sign off for the remainder of these Christmas posts...

Fuck you 2016!


Link || Nari the Narwhal Night Light from Firebox
Link || Lumio Website
Link || Hanging Mirrored Metallic Light Bulb Light by Nest via Not On The High Street
Link || Luna Lamp by Acorn Studio
Link || Luna Lamp Brings The Moon Into Your Room via Bored Panda

..................................................................................
Listening: White Christmas - Otis Redding

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails